Sumblox. Advancing kids mathematical skills through wooden number blocks
Calling all parents, grandparents and teachers. Sumblox are the latest mathematical tool on the market that are assisting and empowering children of several ages to develop a deep understanding of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions. Sumblox allow kids to discover maths on their own terms through engaging hands-on play. The 43 hardwood building blocks are carved into digits from 1 to 10 and can be stacked on top of each other in multiple combinations to easily display the relationship between value and symbol. How cool is that? No matter how they are stacked, if the numbers add up so will the heights! You are gob-smacked right? So are we!
How Sumblox builds confidence in your kids:
Through exploration and play, kids are not weighed down by several mental processes to obtain answers, releasing them from frustration, anxiety and feelings of hopelessness. Instead this freedom promotes self-confidence and self driven learners who create, problem-solve and push mathematical boundaries through inquiry.
How fun are these wooden number blocks? Let us count the ways…
These magical building blocks are open-ended so they can be used for several maths games and activities such as:
– Identifying and ordering digits 1-10: As the blocks have been brilliantly designed to increase in size it is easy see which number is small and which is larger
– Comparing numbers: The number 2 block is half the size of the 4, so are close in height, however the 2 is a fifth of the size of 10 so kids can easily identify that 10 is a larger number than 2 but the difference is not as large for the 4 block.
– Addition: Simply by placing the blocks on top of each other, if the numbers add up, they will equal each other in size and value. For instance if 3 and 2 were stacked on each other they would be the same height as the 5 block. Or if the 2, 3 and 5 were on top of each other they would be equal to the 10 block. A fabulous activity is exploring all the combinations of numbers that add to 10. As our number system is based on 10, automatically recalling numbers that add to 10 is an essential skill to require for computing larger numbers.
– Fact families: When numbers are stacked and equal in height, fact families can be discussed. For the above example 2 3= 5, 3 2 5, 5-3=2, 5-2=3. Having an understanding in fact families enables easier computation.
– Multiplication: Kids can clearly explore that multiplication is repeated addition. Stack 3 of the 2 blocks and you will discover that 2×3=6. Reverse the processes of 2 of the 3 blocks and you find the same answer. Again fact families is explored. If you look at the completed multiplication answer division never got any easier! For example, 6 divided by 2 is 3 or divided by 3 is 2. The answers are right in front of your eyes!
–Fractions: located common denominators with ease when adding fractions.
But that’s not all! Race to build a tower of 10, compete to find the most/least digits that will add to 20 or find ways to add numbers to 100 quickly. The really exciting part? Watch your child giggle as they know their creations down and start all over again. With Sumblox opportunities for learning and fun are endless!
Comes with Sumblox activity cards.
Don’t forget to check out our Sumblox video to see their potential. Just click on the triangle above.
Love our Sumblox? You will be blown away by our EasyRead Clock and watches and our I Spy Bags too!